Working with Take 5 Productions, Rama Allen and team create the opening titles to the History Channel’s epic drama series ‘Vikings’.
From concept art, through to production, edit, compositing and final grade, Mill+ immerses viewers into the world of the mighty Norsemen.
“Ritual. Supernature. Memory. Visions. Salt. Gold. Smoke. Sex. Metal. Blood. Gods. Fire. Death. Honor. Family and the Sea…. are all Viking themes we drew from, ” explains Rama. “To develop the sequence we sought the haunting, ancient, fearsome and visceral part of us.
Our sequence was inspired by a folktale found in The Sagas. That of the ‘Nine Sisters’; the goddesses of the waves, that would pluck Viking explorers from their ships and pull them to a sensual, dark and watery grave. The Vikings’ relationship with death was built on honor, inevitability, sex, and the constant presence of gods pulsing through every grain of sand and swell of the ocean.
In the titles we follow the separation of a Viking from the living. He slips into darkness amongst ornaments of his life; weaponry, gold and bone. His fading memory flickers throughout before he is consumed by one of the ‘Sisters’. He is left a shell below the waves before we learn he is not alone, but one of many sinking below the creeping surge of Viking raiders above. As the titles draw to a close the fiery massive raid assaults a darkened coast line.”
- Director: Rama Allen
- Art Director: Audrey Davis
- Head of Design Production: Danielle Amaral
- Head of Content: Ian Bearce
- Line Producer: Rich Schwab
- Production Manager: Jon Simonetta
- Director of Photography: Khalid Mohtaseb
- Second Unit DP: Adam Carboni
- DIT: Nick Midwig
- Stylist: Linette Delmonico
- EFX Makeup: Jacqueline Valenca
- Prop: Joseph Paul Sciacca
- Camera PA: Dan Stewart
- PA: Chuck Simmons
- Talent: Shannon Rusbuldt
- Talent: Bruce Raubenheimer
- Editor: Ryan McKenna
- Additional Editing: Jessica Ledoux
- VFX Supervisor: Westley Sarokin
- 2D Lead Artists: Westley Sarokin, Danny Morris
- 3D Lead Artists: Sandor Toledo, Vince Baertsoen
- 2D Artists: Suzanne Dyer, Robert Bruce(Nuke)
- 3D Artists: Rubem Vanderbroek, Olivier Varteressian
- Colorist: Damien Van Der Cruyssen